|Representatives of the Texas Judiciary at the Tower groundbreaking, October 8, 1982.|
|Due to the weather, they had to move the ceremony inside.|
Thirty-three years ago today, South Texas College of Law broke ground on our largest expansion project: the construction of our 11-story Tower. It was originally planned as a 5-story addition. Thanks to grants from Houston Endowment, Inc and The Cullen Foundation, as well as sustaining grants from the Rockwell Fund, Inc., the finished product was fully funded and built without putting the school into debt.
The groundbreaking ceremony was attended by the entire bench of the Texas Supreme Court, with the keynote delivered by Chief Justice Joe R. Greenhill. The Introduction of Judiciary was by Honorable Frank G. Evans, Chief Justice of the First Court of Appeals, which, along with the Fourteenth Court of Appeals, would be housed on the top three floors of the new Tower building. The courts moved out of the tower and into the restored 1910 Harris County Courthouse in 2011.